Are you bored of subpar sound quality in your car and want to experience music in its true form? Component car speakers are the answer! These speakers are designed to produce crisp and clear sound with enhanced details and accuracy in frequency response. In this article, we will present you with the top 7 best component car speakers available out there, to help you upgrade your car’s audio system.
Top 7 Best Component Car Speakers
Here are the top seven best component car speakers available out there:
Best Overall: JBL GTO609C Premium
The JBL GTO609C Premium is a state-of-the-art component speaker unit that aims to deliver dynamic, robust sound from any compatible amplifier or head-unit or amplifier. With the capacity to handle a peak power of 270 Watts (75 watts RMS), the speaker system provides a seamless match for sound systems powered with factory amplifier power levels.
Whether used as a replacement for factory speakers or as an aftermarket installation, the JBL GTO609C Premium system is an excellent choice. It has a soft-dome, edge-driven tweeter design that maximizes power handling while simultaneously minimizing high-frequency distortion. In addition, edge-driven tweeters enhance dispersion characteristics and permit a lower crossover frequency, thereby improving imaging.
The component sets come equipped with a dedicated 12-decibel/octave passive crossover network that boosts power handling and reduces distortion. The JBL GTO609C Premium has a rated crossover frequency of 2500Hz and power of 200W. It has a peak power of 270W, a recommended RMS amplifier power of 90W RMS, and an impedance of 3 ohms. The package includes 2 crossovers, 2 tweeters, 2 woofers, as well as mounting hardware.
- Minimal high-frequency distortion
- Suitable for factory replacement
- Improved imaging and vocal clarity
- May not fit all vehicle models perfectly
Best for Bass: Alpine SPR-60C
The Alpine SPR-60C is a technological marvel that delivers a powerful and crystal-clear sound experience. The SPR-60C Type-R system employs a unique and innovative hybrid fiber woofer design that delivers unparalleled bass response. The woofer’s ridged surround (originally intended for use in Alpine’s subs) has been expertly adapted to these speakers, delivering extended and consistent cone movement, pushing vast amounts of air.
The advanced HAMR surround technology used in the Type-R speakers ensures optimal control and stability even at higher volume levels. This technology combines increased cone area and long linear cone excursion for deep, powerful bass response. The new Type-R woofers boast a revolutionary HD Polymer frame that makes them stronger, lighter, and more comfortable to install.
Alpine utilizes potent neodymium magnets in their design of the SPR-60C to enable their high-density polymer frames to fit into tighter spaces than the majority of 6.5″ woofers. Its crossover networks expertly control low and high frequencies, ensuring seamless, crystal-clear sound quality.
The Alpine SPR-60C has an impressive peak power handling of 660 watts per set or 330 watts on each side with a 4-ohm impedance. Its RMS power handling is also commendable, standing at 220 watts per set or 110 watts on each side, with a sensitivity of 88dB peak.
- Powerful and crystal-clear sound quality
- Innovative hybrid fiber woofer design
- Advanced HAMR surround technology
- Impressive power handling and sensitivity
- Mid-bass is slightly weak
Best High-End: KICKER 46CSS654
- The CS-Series delivers remarkable performance and ultra-clean bass, utilizing a heavy-duty motor/magnet structure with EVC (Extended Voice Coil) for even deeper lows.
- Superb woofer design guarantees a significant upgrade in sound from a dull factory speaker system. Phase plugs eliminate distortion for utmost clarity and accuracy.
- Three tweeter mounting options including flush, angled and surface pods
- UV-treated poly-foam surround resists heat or direct sunlight
- Neodymium tweeter magnets allow for increased volume in high frequencies
The Kicker 46CSS654 is a 6.5-inch component speaker, rendering a notable and exceptional performance that promises an ultra-clean bass – with the use of a weighty-duty motor/magnet structure, alongside the EVC (Extended Voice Coil), thereby producing deeper lows. The CS-Series speakers are most effective when utilized with 100 watts of recommended power, providing a frequency response of 35-21,000 Hz.
The Kicker 46CSS654 speaker has a small hole for the tweeter that can be mounted flush with the surface. The hole is 1 9/16 inches wide and 9/16 inches deep. You can adjust the high-pitched sounds using a switch that has three different settings. Moreover, the speaker is made with strong polypropylene cones and ribbed, UV-treated surrounds to make sure the sound is clear and reliable.
One of the key features of the Kicker 46CSS654 is the bolt-thru grilles that come equipped with the unit, making the installation process a lot easier, and further enhancing its aesthetic.
- Offers excellent sound quality
- Designed for easy installation in almost all vehicles
- Customizable sound settings
- Comes with bolt-thru grilles
- A little pricey
Best Budget-Friendly: Rockford Fosgate R165-S Prime
- The Prime R165-S is a 6.5" 2-way component speaker system that deliver premium sound quality in an easy to install package
- The R165-S Kit includes a pair of 6.5” woofers with grilles (mounting depth of 1.97"), a pair of 0.5" tweeters with integrated crossovers (mounting depth of 1.06") and mounting hardware
- The 4-Ohm component speaker system has a power handling of 40 Watts RMS / 80 Watts Max
- Perfect for replacing factory speakers, the midrange accommodates direct fit OEM placement and the tweeter with an in-line crossover accommodates flush, surface and angle mounting
- Famous Rockford Fosgate build quality with a full 1-year warranty when purchased from an authorized Rockford Fosgate reseller
The R165-S Prime by Rockford Fosgate is a 6.5-inch 2-way component system that is highly coveted – due to its remarkable quality and the ease with which it can be installed. The package includes two woofers, each able to handle a staggering 40 watts RMS and 80 watts peak power, with an impedance of 4 ohms and a sensitivity of 89 dB.
Additionally, the package includes two tweeters that are equipped with crossovers, as well as all the necessary mounting hardware. What sets the R165-S apart is its rugged construction; which allows it to perform exceptionally well at high volumes.
The woofers feature Mica-injected polypropylene cones, which provide an extended frequency response and allow for a direct OEM installation. Moreover, these durable woofers produce robust drums and bass while retaining clear and accurate reproduction of the midrange frequencies.
- Remarkable quality
- Easy installation process
- Rugged construction
- Lacks depth in the bass
Best with Dome Tweeters: Infinity KAPPA-60CSX
- Infinity’s glass fiber woofer cones are lighter and stiffer with more cone-area than the competition , delivering increased low-frequency output and higher efficiency.
- Edge-driven textile dome tweeters - These are not commonly used W-domes, but edge-driven textile dome speakers that will deliver broader and smoother high frequency response.
- High output 2.5 ohm ohm architecture with low impedance voice coils enables the speaker to extract every watt from the amplifier and deliver peak power with ease.
- Infinity speakers have to undergo a testing process that would destroy lesser speakers. Infinity freezes them, bakes them, shakes them, blasts them with ultraviolet light and drives them at full power for days at a time.
- Infinity is in the business of designing reference quality speakers, and Kappa car audio speakers are no exception.
The Infinity Kappa 60CSX is a groundbreaking addition to the realm of car audio. The system boasts a 6-1/2″ (160mm) two-way component design, which delivers audiophile-grade sound quality.
The Plus One™ woofers are a patented marvel by Infinity, producing taut, sturdy bass with high output that’s both intricate and melodious. With oversized voice coils that can handle increased thermal power, the edge-driven textile dome tweeters offer silky smooth highs.
The Kappa 60CSX is backed by Infinity’s proprietary technology and top-notch materials, ensuring that the sound quality produced is unparalleled. These speakers feature an ultra-high sensitivity of 93 dB at 2.83 volts, capable of handling up to 100 watts of RMS of power. They have a low impedance of 2.5 ohms, enabling them to take advantage of every watt of power safely. What’s more, they don’t require an external amplifier and can be powered by a factory radio or aftermarket stereo.
- Audiophile-grade sound quality
- Patented Plus One™ woofers
- Edge-driven textile dome tweeters
- Ultra-high sensitivity of 93 dB at 2.83 volts
- Relatively expensive
Best for Rock Music: Rockford R1675-S R1 Prime
- Made in China
- Package dimensions :11.0 cm (H) x 48.0 cm (L) x 21.0 cm (W)
- Package Weight :2.174 kg
- Product type :CAR AUDIO OR THEATER
The R1675-S R1 Prime by Rockford Fosgate is an outstanding 2-way component speaker system that boasts an impressive 6.75-inch size. It is designed to deliver the kind of authentic sound quality that is synonymous with the Rockford Fosgate brand. The kit comprises a pair of woofers alongside grilles, 2 crossover tweeters, and mounting hardware for easy installation.
With a power rating of 40 watts RMS and a peak power of 160 watts, these speakers are certainly no slouch when it comes to output. They also have a relatively shallow mounting depth, which makes them ideal for direct OEM installation.
The R1675-S is equipped with a Mica-injected polypropylene cone that offers extended frequency response. Plus, the separate Mylar tweeters add excitement to your music with a strong high-frequency response without any metallic harshness. These speakers boast an impedance of 4 ohms and a sensitivity of 89 dB, which ensures optimal performance even at lower power levels.
- Powerful output
- Relatively shallow mounting depth
- Affordable price point
- Grilles and mounting hardware included
- Not suitable for larger vehicles
Best for Jeep Wrangler: Alpine Electronics PSS-22WRA
- The PSS-22WRA is a weather resistant, direct fit sound system for 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited models without the factory-equipped Alpine amplified sound system.
- Alpine’s exclusive Dynamic Peak Power (DPP) amplifier technology and the 10” subwoofer enclosure deliver incredible sound performance (600W RMS/1200W DPP).
- Thanks to the included adapters, the PSS-22WRA’s speakers can be configured as component or coaxial sets, depending on your Jeep’s speaker layout.
- The PSS-22WRA is compatible with any Alpine Restyle Jeep Wrangler dash system, the Jeep factory base radio, or other aftermarket radio.
- Designed for Jeeps with automatic transmission (not compatible with manual transmission)
The PSS-22WRA by Alpine Electronics is a top-of-the-line, weather-resistant sound system specifically designed for Jeep Wrangler models between 2011 and 2018. This package includes a whopping nine direct-fit speakers and power sources that are optimized for the Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited.
Boasting an impressive 1200-watt, DPP Direct Fit upgrade package, the PSS-22WRA comes with two compact amplifiers. One of these is a 4 50-watt RMS amplifier, and the other is a mono tough pack amplifier.
In terms of audio quality, the Alpine PSS-22WRA speaker system leaves nothing to be desired. It includes 2 amplifiers, a 10-inch subwoofer, 4 1-inch tweeters, and 4 6.5-inch speakers. Moreover, it also features a 4-channel Class-D amplifier and a mono tough pack amplifier. With the capability of producing up to 600 watts of power, the PSS-22WRA sound system will certainly have your Jeep Wrangler sounding better than ever before.
- weather-resistant sound system
- 9 direct-fit speakers
- 1200-watt DPP Direct Fit
- Highly versatile
- May be costly for some consumers
Factors to Consider before Buying Component Car Speakers
When investing in a component car speaker, it is imperative to take into account several essential factors that contribute to the speaker’s optimal performance. These factors include:
The size of the speaker is an essential consideration that determines the quality of the sound produced by the component speaker. The most common sizes for component speakers are 6.5 inches and 6×9 inches, and they have varying levels of bass and sound quality production.
Power handling – as measured in watts RMS – is the maximum amount of power that a speaker can endure without incurring any damage. Therefore, it is necessary to ensure that your amplifier can deliver enough power to match the speaker’s power handling before buying component speakers.
The sensitivity rating (expressed in decibels) is an indication of the speaker’s effectiveness in converting power into sound, resulting in a louder and more explicit sound quality production.
Frequency response refers to the range of frequencies that the speaker can reproduce; indicating the lowest and highest frequencies that the speaker can produce. A more comprehensive frequency response range results in better sound quality and accuracy.
Materials and Build Quality
The quality of materials and build significantly influences the sound quality production of the component speaker. Kevlar, aluminum, and titanium are examples of high-quality materials that produce better sound quality and are more durable, leading to a more satisfactory and longer-lasting purchase.
There are numerous component car speakers available out there, with a variety of features and specifications. These speakers come with a range of features, including high-quality sound output, durable construction, and easy installation. Ultimately, the best option will depend on individual preferences, budget, and specific requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I install a component speaker system myself?
It is possible to install a component speaker system yourself. However, remember that the installation’s difficulty may vary depending on your vehicle and the specific components you are using. If you are not confident in your ability to install the speakers yourself, it may be best to seek professional installation services.
How much power do component speakers require?
The power required for component speakers can vary depending on the specific speakers and the desired listening levels. Typically, it is important to match the speaker’s RMS rating with your amplifier’s output to avoid damaging the speakers or producing distorted sound.
how long does it take to install component car speakers?
The time it takes to install component car speakers can vary depending on the vehicle and the installer’s skill level. The estimated time needed for installing new car speakers is around 1-2 hours. However, some professional installers charge around 1/2 hour per door and 1 hour to do the trunk.
What is the difference between component speakers and coaxial speakers?
The main difference between component speakers and coaxial speakers is their design. Component speakers have separate components, including woofers, tweeters, and crossovers, which are mounted separately. On the other hand, coaxial speakers have a full 2-way system in just a single assembly, typically with a woofer, tweeter, and external crossover all in one unit.
Can I install 6.5-inch component speakers in any car?
It is possible to install 6.5-inch component speakers in most cars, but it may require more time and effort. Plus, to install component speakers in any vehicle, you’ll need to ensure that there is enough space and correct wiring. It is recommended to consult a professional or follow a detailed installation guide when installing component speakers.
Amazon Products on this Page Was Last Updated On 2023-06-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API